I love to cook everything from Italian to Mexican to Thai to Moroccan. The problem is that most of these cuisines base their savory flavors on onions and garlic, which is high in fructans. Turns out that I am very sensitive to onions and garlic and try to avoid them at all costs. So the biggest question for me is how do you get onion and garlic flavor on a low-FODMAP diet?
Not only can you use the green tops of green onions/scallions (not the light green parts) in all of your recipes calling for onions as they are low in FODMAPS, but you can also use onion and garlic flavored oils. You can even use both to create foundations of savory flavors.
The geniuses at Monash University determined that the problematic FODMAP carbohydrates are water-soluble and not oil-soluble. This means that the carbohydrates don’t leach out into oil. So we can use oils infused with garlic and onion flavor. Here are some quick and easy tips to get as much onion and garlic flavor into your favorite dishes as possible without the digestive symptoms:
Low-FODMAP Green Onion/Scallion Oil
I usually use green onions (scallions) since the green onion tops are FODMAP-friendly, which allows me to use the whole onion.
One bunch of green onions. Light green parts separated from the dark green tops, coarsely chopped.
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil over medium heat
- Add light green parts of green onions and sauté for 5 – 7 minutes until soft and starting to brown
- Discard before continuing with your recipe
You are then left with onion-flavored olive oil to use in your favorite recipes.
Garlic Oil & Roasted Garlic Oil
Use either for pesto, salad dressings, sauces, roasting vegetables, stir-fries, etc.
- Use 1 smashed garlic clove for each tablespoon of olive oil
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes so the oil can infuse with garlic flavor
- Discard the garlic before using in your recipe
- You can also heat the garlic and olive oil over medium heat for roasted garlic infused oil
- Simply sauté garlic over low-medium heat until garlic turns golden brown then discard garlic before continuing with your recipe