When you think of your favorite retro foods, do you think of Pigs in a Blanket or Macaroni & Cheese? How about a Jell-o mold? I think of Deviled Eggs. What I love about this version is that it offers an unexpected twist on an old favorite. Lime juice, chipotle pepper and cilantro combine with mayo for a zippy, creamy filling. Best of all, it's low-FODMAP but your guests will never know! If you want to get fancy, check out my super-simple hack for piping the filling into the egg.
1 dozen organic eggs, hard-boiled & peeled
6 tablespoons of mayonnaise
3 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon of ground chipotle pepper
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Foolproof Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Gently place 12 eggs in a pot and fill with water to cover by 2 inches.
- Bring eggs to boil then turn off heat and cover. Let eggs sit for 13 minutes. No more, no less!
- While eggs are cooking, make an ice bath by filling up a large bowl with ice and water.
- When done, drain eggs in a colander and then immediately plunge eggs into ice bath to cool.
- Peel eggs.
Make Deviled Egg Filling
- Slice each egg in half length-wise.
- Gently scoop out the egg yolk of each egg and place in bowl.
- Combine egg yolks, mayonnaise, lime juice, salt and chipotle pepper. Stir until very creamy.
- Genius Tip: to keep the eggs from sliding, cut a small divot on the bottom of each egg half.
Fill Deviled Eggs
You have two options. Fancy or not fancy.
- Fancy: scoop filling into a sandwich bag then squeeze the filling towards one end of the bag. Snip off a small piece of the end of the bag to create a hack-piping bag. Squeeze filling into each empty egg.
- Not Fancy: Use a spoon and fill each empty egg.
- Top filled eggs with cilantro & serve.