I love butternut squash soup but it’s higher in FODMAPs than Kabocha squash. On the Monash FODMAP app, it appears as Pumpkin, Jap (short for Japanese Pumpkin, as it’s known in Australia). Turns out that Kabocha squash is an excellent substitute for butternut.
Like butternut squash, Kabocha squash is very hard to cut. Do not, I repeat, do not cut the squash without softening it first. To make it easier & safer to cut, heat the entire squash in the microwave for 5 – 6 minutes. Let cool, then cut in half to remove seeds and pulp. Cut each half into quarters to remove skin and then chop flesh.
You can make this soup with a traditional browned butter/sage topping or you can try this cilantro chutney that adds a little heat, a little crunch and a fresh, herbal note as a garnish.
Makes 6 cups
2 bunches scallions, dark and light green segments separated and chopped
3 tablespoons coconut oil
A 3 ½ – 4 lb. Kabocha squash, peeled, halved, seeds and strings discarded, then chopped in ½ slices
5 cups water or low-FODMAP vegetable broth
4 2-inch strips of orange zest
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cilantro Chutney Ingredients
¼ cup sliced almonds
¼ cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
2 jalapenos, seeds removed (use gloves to protect skin when handling hot peppers)
2 cups loosely packed cilantro
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a soup pot.
- Add chopped light green onion segments and sauté until soft then discard.
- Add chopped dark green onion segments and sauté until soft.
- Add chopped squash and ½ cup water. Cook covered for 20 – 25 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Add water, orange zest, orange juice and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree to smooth consistency.
- Add apple cider vinegar, season with salt & pepper to taste
- Top with Cilantro Chutney
Cilantro Chutney Directions
- In a small food processor or blender, add almonds, coconut, jalapeno, a pinch of salt and 1/3 cup water. Process until mixture is finely chopped.
- Add cilantro and process until mixture is finely chopped.