Need inspiration for your Thanksgiving Menu while on a special diet? We are hosting Thanksgiving and there will be others besides myself who eliminate certain foods to keep symptoms in check. Fortunately, there are tons of resources to find modified versions of your favorites. Below is our dairy-free, gluten-free, modified low-FODMAP menu. I know these dietary restrictions make it seem challenging to pull off a delicious holiday meal but I think it sounds pretty amazing!
Appetizers – Everyone loves dips!
Vegan Artichoke/Spinach Dip from Forks over Knives
- I will modify to be lower in FODMAPS by using garlic-infused oil instead of garlic and adding scallion greens. I may also add nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor. Recipes give me a starting point and I tweak as I go.
Muhammara (aka roasted red pepper dip) from the Minimalist Baker
- Dana included the low-FODMAP modifications – thanks!
An assortment of crudite & gluten-free crackers and flatbread.
Winter Green Salad with Apple, Pomegranate Seeds & Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- The bitter winter greens will help stimulate digestive juices, which are much needed for a rich meal.
- And as Samin Nosrat pointed out on her Netflix documentary “Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat”, Thanksgiving needs acidic additions to counter all of the hearty foods. I couldn’t agree more.
- No recipe needed. I got this one!
- Michael is roasting a turkey as he does every year. He doesn’t follow a recipe although he may try one of the dry brine recipes offered in the Whole Foods Thanksgiving catalog.
Blistered Green Beans with Shishito Peppers and Mushrooms – from the Whole Foods Thanksgiving Catalog
- I will modify using oyster mushrooms and shiitakes so it’s lower in FODMAPs
- We will serve the crispy onions on the side. I know it’s the best part but some of us can’t do onions (sadly that is me) and are gluten-free.
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Oat Crumble by Fit Mitten Kitchen
- A guest is bringing this and it looks fabulous. Hope there’s leftovers!
Cranberry Sauce – A guest is bringing. Always yummy!
I don’t bake so this is easy. Everyone LOVES the gluten-free, dairy-free pumpkin tart with ginger crust from By the Way Bakery in New York City. We get this every year. No one knows it’s gluten-free (except those who need to know).
Sara Kahn, MS, CNS, CDN is a board-certified nutritionist specializing in digestive health conditions like SIBO, IBS, acid reflux and more. She’s the founder of Belly Bliss Nutrition and the Solving SIBO Program.